Thursday, December 19, 2013

SSR: "Les Diables Rouges" in the World Cup


Belga

I've heard many people making fun of our National soccer team, which is kind of understandable. But I just wanted to remind people that 2013 has been an amazing year for those that we call "Les Diables Rouges" (literally translated to The Red Devils). This year, they've been from 20th to 11th world ranking, according to the FIFA. The team won 10 places during the last year and 30 since December 2011.

This year was the year of all the promises. It is true that the Belgian team is not a very experimented team and not used to big meetings and to a lot of pressure but I have faith in them. They are a bunch of young guys, very motivated, that want to offer their country some kind of satisfaction, which they already did. Many of our players play, during the year, in the German, English or Netherlands championship, which are known to be really good European teams (Germany is even the 2nd country on the international scene, behind Spain, European too). This year national ranking was the best since the creation of the FIFA, in 1993. They also qualified for the World Cup and have actually a chance to go far in the championship. They are the best team Belgium has had for a long time, probably since the World Cup in Mexico in 1986 with the Belgian team that lost in the semis against the future champion, Argentina.

In Brazil, The Red Devils are going to meet Algeria, Russia and South Corea in their first group. I think they will be able to pass this group, probably in the 1st place, and join the final eight, with those countries being respectively 26th, 22th and 54th world FIFA ranked.

I know many people were surprised when they heard that Belgium qualified for the World Cup and I have to admit that I was surprised myself at the beginning of the season, when I saw how good our team was but people need to know and to admit that Belgium has evolved and is one of the big soccer nations now. They're way before France (ranked 20th). I think those guys can go far in the championship and, even if they don't, they're still the best national team I've ever known and I will cheer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment