One of the other very typical food is speculoos. You can buy them in the supermarket, most of the time, by the brand "Lotus" or you can make them yourself. Anyway, we also have a bunch of recipe that include them. What I'm going to share with you is the tiramisu, a well known Italian dessert, transformed into a Belgian specialty.
If you have no clue of what a speculoos is, here is a picture and you can find them here in the US.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Let the preparation rest: 4 hours
Ingredients (for 6 people):
- 3 big eggs
- 7 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 little packet of vanilla sugar
- 1 cup of mascarpone
- 24 speculoos (the same as you can see on the image)
- 2 cups of a mix of coffee and almond liquor (most people use Amaretto)
- 2 tablespoons of dark cacao powder
Steps to follow:
1) Separate the yellows from the whites. Mix the yellows, the sugar, the vanilla sugar and the mascarpone until you get a smooth and homogeneous cream.
2) Whip the whites of the eggs and incorporate them slowly to the other mix.
3) Soak the speculoos in the coffee and liquor mix.
Put them in the bottom of your baking pan.
Put the first layer of cream on top of the biscuits.
Then repeat the operation as much as you want.
4) Let your dessert rest in the fridge for 4 hours and then add the cacao powder on the top.